Monday, October 6, 2008

Adam's Story

Last Friday, KARK did a story about a national study that ACH will be participating in studying all types of developmental delays, including autism. Mal called to see if they could interview Adam & me, and of course we were happy to help! (Anything to be on TV, right?) They came to the school and taped the interview on the playground. You can watch it here:



Adam was a little afraid and didn't want me to let him down. He did let me put him in the swing, and they got a cute shot of Evan pushing him. Evan, of course, was hamming it up for the camera. He would slide down the slide and look at the camera to say, "Want me to do it again?". Then he would throw the ball to me and turn to the camera and say, "I throw the ball to my Mommy!"

I told the reporter as we were leaving to try to make me sound halfway intelligent, and I think the piece turned out really good! I told Jeff I only wish I hadn't used the word "devastated". We know what devastated feels like, and compared to that, this challenge with Adam is so do-able. If I had to do it over again, I would say this is difficult, or maybe challenging, but definitely not devastating.

Adam, by the way, is doing great. We continue to see progress daily, and are amazed at how far he has come in such a short time. Every day we are hearing new words (today's new word was "helment"--he was playing with a Star Wars toy), and he is making much better eye contact. This weekend during Emma's soccer game, he was playing Ring Around the Rosie with Evan and some of the other siblings and having a ball. Amazing! Two months ago he wouldn't have cared to participate.

Last week we saw a Neurologist at ACH who said she does not see any evidence of a neurological disorder, but wants us to go ahead and do an EEG and an MRI (under sedation) just to rule things out, so we are working on getting that scheduled. She was a little concerned about the tone of his legs and his "toe walking" and wants Frances Allen to go ahead and do a PT evaluation--they will be doing that this week.

Today, he moved to a new room at school so that he and Evan are separated to help encourage him to be a little more independent since Evan tends to do most of his talking for him. (I think Evan tends to do the talking for most of the class.) His new teachers went on and on about how great he did and how sweet he is--they love him already!

We continue to be amazed at God's provision for our family. Thank you to all who are praying for us, and please keep Adam and his continued progress in your prayers. We do have a long way to go, but as Jeff's Dad used to say, "This is a starting point. We can get there from here".


No comments: