Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Adam's MRI & EEG

Adam had an EEG & MRI done at ACH on Monday. He did really well. We did the EEG first, and Adam DID NOT like it at all....they glued 24 wires to his head and he cried the whole time with Jeff holding him still. Then, she said, "OK, now I need him to go to sleep". Jeff and I just looked at each other, both thinking, "There is no way he is going to go to sleep after that!" Jeff stayed in the room and laid down on the bed with him while I waited outside and started praying. I also called my Mom to ask her to pray that he would settle down and go to sleep. After about 5 minutes I could tell he had stopped crying, then 15 minutes later the tech came out and they were done! The power of prayer!

I had a meeting at work that I had go to so I left for a while and got back just as they were starting the MRI. They already had him sedated and in the machine. Jeff said that he did pretty good, although he DID NOT want to put on the hospital pajamas (I don't blame him...they were a little itchy!). The nurse gave him about 50 stickers which seemed to have made him happy. He went to sleep with a death grip on them! The MRI just took about 20 minutes, and Jeff carried him back to a little recovery area where he slept for about 15 more minutes before we started trying to wake him up. He did not want to wake up at first, even after a cold wet washcloth on his head. Then the nurse put a little bag of Teddy Grahams in his hand--his eyes immediately popped open and he started stuffing them in his mouth!! Poor baby had not eaten since 6:30 a.m. and was starving! He ate two bags of Teddy Grahams in about 5 minutes. Jeff and I were laughing at him--Adam is definitely one who is motivated by food! We stayed for about 10 more minutes and headed home. Adam was feeling really good and quite silly after his little dose of medicine. He stumbled around for a little while and was completly back to his fun little self in no time at all. Kids are so amazing....if I had been through what he had I would have headed straight for the bed!

Now the good news.....thanks to my colleague (Medical Record Director) at ACH, I already have the results of the MRI and it was NORMAL! Praise God! We really did not expect them to find anything, but we are happy for this confirmation that we are on the right track. We should have the results of the EEG by Thursday, but again I expect that it will be completely normal.


I must say, anytime that I am feeling down about what Adam is facing, I need make a visit to Arkansas Children's Hospital. Jeff and were again reminded as we walked the halls at ACH how blessed we are to have four healthy children, and although we know that Adam has some challenges ahead of him, this pales in comparison to what some families are facing.


Thank you to all who are praying for Adam and for our family. We truly feel God's hand at work sustaining us through each day.

No comments: